Sunday, January 29, 2023

Botanical printed leather/fabric dress




Set of botanical printed leather apron-wrap dress and espadrille just made.  Absolutely one of a kind.  I'm quite pleased with this own made wearable.  I must say that the garment made with huge thanks to Nicola Brown, my good friend I know since she taught me wool felting.  A couple of months ago I went to Ireland and we had a great time together for botanical printing interaction. Nicola is very generous to give me the exquisite "crust" hide and wool fabric for the printing with her own grown plants.  I made the big nice prints of leather and wool.  Back home with fabulous ideas to make them into memorable wears.
The leather Nicola bought from Linda G Illumanardi who is a brilliant eco printer based in the US. She prints so well on leather and was so generous to share her tutorial with me too. This big piece of leather I have never seen before.  At first I was hesitate to print with as it's huge to handle.  If I made it wrong I would have ruined such expensive leather. Nicola was so kind to encourage me to go ahead and make the most of it.  So that I combined with Linda's way of working and my own to print it.  It's a big piece but as usual "less is more" for me. I just put on a few leaves and flower is the main theme.
It came out so pleasing.  I was thinking to make it a work apron but seems a waste.  Finally I made it a wearable apron dress with panels of linen/silk printing. Just simple cutting and lining I made this wrapped dress. It's easy piece of free size and two-way dressing.

 The big wool yardage and the huge lambskin botanical printing done in Nicola's studio are the nice keepsakes of my holiday in Ireland.
From below images you will see how it looks in different style.

早前在愛爾蘭Nicola Brown 莊園印製的兩大片羊皮及羊毛氈植物染終製作成衣物,一件羊皮夾絲麻長裙及兩件袖子被肩上衣,很多謝Nicola 的濃情厚意送給我這些貴重物料作研究,成為那次旅程訪友的珍貴紀念製品。

Lined arm holes and neckline with printed scraps 
  
Intended raw edges of leather
Button at the back for tight waist style.  Small buttons on both sides to make it loose style.
The wool yardage I made into two wrap tops.
The three generations of us - daughter-in-law and granddaughter, we all in eco printing.
 
This easy to sew garment fits all size and age. 
 
Nicola Brown based in Ireland and teaches on line eco printing. She's great and brilliant to share her techniques of eco printing and wool felting.
Linda G Illumanardi  based in the US teaches botanical printing and supplies exquisite leather for printing.
 I have a wonderful stay with Nicola and learned a lot.  Such great memories bond in mind.
We walked up the mountain 
Gathered flowers and leaves in her house
Made the beautiful prints 
Nice drapping of the printed leather
Creating in such gorgeous environment is inspiring 
The big wool yardage printed and made into two wrap coats

Thank you so much my great friend, Nicola !


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...