Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Stitches on eco-dyed bag 一針一線的環保袋

Today is the third day of our Chinese New Year, i.e. the last day of holiday. After some family gatherings, I stayed home today. It's chilly these days. I do not want to stay out just doing some stitches to keep me calm. I refer to Kim's blog of stitches linked with Pin Tangle which inspired me to do some stitches on my eco print fabrics. This bag just made.
See I'm in a Chinese New Year mood doing the stitches.

It's a silk which I dyed with leaves and iron rust but the leave prints are not good so I stitched the outlines.
After stitches on one side, I tore off other scraps to braid the handles then sewed the bag.

One side with stitches along the leaves.


The other side I embellished the scraps to make flowers attached.


Both sides look.


We're here already regulated to bring own bags for shopping. This DIY bag is light and small. I fold it in the small bag as a set and keep it in my handbag for grocery shopping. For people who have no idea of eco-print or dye may not like this color -looks like dirts or mess but I'm pleased with the organic look.


Nowadays people living in bustle and hustle urban do not bother to do the stitches / embroidery. But I gradually find the crafts pretty. If I have more time I'd love to do other styles of stitches. The group found stitched dyed is fantastic to exchange and learn.

Linking with Threading My Way - bags and totes

11 comments:

  1. its beautiful Terrie, I think the art of small work as they once called it is going away.
    I love having small stichery projects that are perfect to bring along, embroidery stitches add such character to eye glass cases, napkins, hankies,

    ReplyDelete
  2. love what you did to your bag. and happy chinese new year. i carry my own bags to the grocery as well but they're not as nice as yours. will have to try one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorites Terrie. I love the colors, and the flower. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your stitching does great service to your prints. They bring out the eco-prints and make a joyful whole. Small stitching projects are great to relax with , traveling or not. Sometimes things you see on your journey wind up in your stitching. Nice job, Terriea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, I done stitches on the silk fabric as the prints are not obvious. I still have problems with cotton dyeing or eco-print. It's said 100% cotton but the outcome was nothing, I queried for the cotton. Or if there're any tricks on cotton?

      Delete
  5. love the bag.xx Also "Kung hjei fat choi" ..sorry but couldn't remember how to spell it...or in other words "Happy new Year"x
    I love your stitch and l too find stitiching very peacefulxxxxEnjoy the rest of your holidayxxlynda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynda, thanks for your wishes. You still remember the Chinese greetings "Kung Hei Fat Choi". Same wishes to you.

      Delete
  6. Love your bag, Terrie. And all the stitches. Relax and stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an AWESOME bag, Terrie!!! Love the added stitching details. I think it's too good to use as a grocery bag. Plastic bags are still used here. Unfortunately it's not regulated. It's up to the individual, or in a few cases, the shop. I would love for you to share this at my ongoing linky for bags and totes...
    http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/01/threading-your-way-bags-and-totes-link.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Terrie, I've featured your bag today...
    http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/01/threading-your-way-features_29.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...