Saturday, October 25, 2014

Endeavor to change - Mustard dye 植物印染衣飾

 A botanical imprinted scarf / vest redyed to mustard color.  
This is the piece of prints I endeavor to redye for gradual color.
 I picked the Lagerstroemia Indica with some yellow, red and green.  Hope to get different shades from autumn windfalls.

 I laid the assorted leaves, a few eucalyptus and bundle boiled the silk fabric for 1.5 hours.
This is the picture of the layout and outcome.
 I intended to put some more leaves on the top of the square fabric to make it a vest / scarf, simply lined two arm holes and hemmed. A multi-style of vest of "upside-down".
 Prints of Lagerstroemia Indica are not much different in spite of green or windfalls of yellow . The long and orange prints are eucalyptus.
 With tannin of leaves and iron, the watercolor painterly effect is so pleasing but I sometimes this is only happy accidents.


 Prints on the collar as a vest .......
 Simply a scarf
I thought it's no harm to make mustard color on the lower part.

 So I redyed the fabric in the eco dye pot.
The left one is before and right one is after dyed.
 The scarf / vest of gradual green
 Left is undyed, the right one dyed
I've to admit the original undyed one is fair enough but keen on experiments I will get the idea of different effect.  
On and off people asked me about eco print / dye.  I'm happy to share common queries.  For my way of getting this mustard green on silk, I use turmeric + logwood + alum. 
 Before putting in the dye pot, I soak the fabric in water with alum.   I soak the logwood chips for a few hours then wrap it with a scrap of fabric, .  For a pot of about 1 L water, I put a teaspoon each of turmeric, logwood and alum.  All together bring to boil then simmer for 10 min.  The longer the stay in the pot the darker the color. 
That's what I got.

Have a nice day ! Until next time.

8 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful Terrie! I love the mustard with the prints..
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for so generously sharing your technique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you KFG. Little skill love to share with like-minded.

      Delete
  3. Terriea,
    What beautiful colors. What a lovely color of yellow it becomes once it is rinsed. I love your work.It is so very inspiring to all of us other artists out here. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda for your appreciation.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...